Has anyone tried adding these types of functions through the port on
the SB2? Sometimes I can't find the remote when all I want to do is
start some music!

I have done some tests with the Powermate (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/). The problem is that you need a computer with USB interface to connect it to. Unless you have your server very close to the SB it's rather useless.

I did the "horizontal" navigation using "push-turn" left/right, some special buttons with "push-and-hold" etc. It does work, but some additional buttons (play/stop) would be nice. I've got a small digicam-quality video:
http://www.herger.net/slim/powermate.avi

Yes, that's my good, old SliMP3 :-)

--

Michael