I have been using an SB3 for the last 30 months. I have been extremely
happy with the SB3, and later my Boom, but have never been entirely
happy with the ripping/ tagging/ storage/ distribution side. I want good
quality sound but I want the hardware to fade into the background so I
do not feel the urge to keep tinkering with it. To me that is the great
advantage of digital storage and replay - the music comes first and is
accessible.

I have been down a few blind alleys with the hardware/software side.
PC/SqueezeCenter worked ok but I don't want or need my PC on all the
time. Mac/SqueezeCenter worked ok but I do not really want a music
server running on my iMac all the time. Ubuntu-Server/SqueezeCenter
worked best of all on a dedicated Dell server (cheap but fast) at the
expense of noise and electricity waste. Netgear NAS: worked but too slow
for me especially when using iPeng.

I have used dbPowerAmp for ripping to FLAC but I find it a slightly odd
product in that it works well but installation and upgrade can be
confusing and their website does not inspire confidence in me.

The tagging side is just a pain in the proverbial. For some reason I
ended up with a good fraction of my tracks seen as compilation tracks,
even Jaikoz (bought to fix this problem) showed the flag was not set.

As I approach retirement and need to cut costs, I decided to review all
the boxes I had around the house consuming electricity and to try to cut
our running costs. The SB fans will not like the result.

I realised I could do everything with an Apple TV (previously a
disappointment but we had one anyway), active speakers and iTunes on our
iMac, with an iPod Touch to control it all. I might hang on to
dbPowerAmp for Accurate Rip and then convert FLAC to Apple Lossless. So
far I have had no problems with the usability and while I have doubts
about the ripping side of iTunes I have no doubts about its ability to
manage my library, create playlists and deliver the songs. It "just
works" for me and in my experience over the last 3 years works with
complete reliability.

OK, so what is the point of this post? Please don't waste your time
telling me how awful iTunes is as a closed system or about the
shortcomings of the Apple TV (I already have my opinions based on my
experience and my particular requirements). Any system is a compromise.
Instead, show me the error of my ways by responding to the following
scenario:

If a neighbour or friend came to you today and asked for advice on a
complete, turnkey setup for someone who just wanted to replay music and
not spend their time tinkering with the software or pleading for help on
these bulletin boards: what would you recommend? Assumptions: the end
user owns a computer but is only computer literate to point of being
able to install software, browse the web, deal with e-mails and use MS
Office (this is meant to be the "typical user"). They have WiFi but
haven't touched it since their ISP told them how to configure it. You
will not be there to hold their hands during the install process. They
want good quality sound driving an existing "stereo system" (let's
assume an analogue input is most likely here, and that they are not an
audiophile) in their living area and might like a Boom or Radio at some
point for multi-room listening. The system should use Logitech hardware
(Touch?) (this is their forum after all). So you need to propose a
complete system up to the point where they connect to the stereo.

Over to you ...

--
dBerriff

iMac/SqueezeCenter, SB3, Boom, AVI ADM9.1 active speakers