OK ..

answered the first part of my question myself by searching these
forums.!

Installed squeezeplay beta on my iMac and it connects to my
squeezecenter and synchronises with the other devices I have.  Great!

So my question now revolves around the best method of setting up a
separate itunes library on my iMac to 'feed' my iphone (and keep a
backup of all my music) - I'm guessing there are other threads on this
so I will continue to search.

The ideal situation would be...

- I keep maintaining my music on my WHS server;

- This music folder on the WHS is somehow synchronised with my iMac and
itunes picks up any changes to the folder

- iTunes is used only for the iphone and when I want to listen to music
exclusively on my iMac.

Too much to ask for?

Regards

Ian