I'm wondering if this is getting a bit complicated. It looks from the
VLC bit alone that it's going to make my head hurt; I've tried to mess
with VLC before and it ain't a lot of laughs. Plus I still don't quite
see how Soundflower fits into the picture.

I think it's like this: Spotify and whatever comes in its wake is the
way that streaming music is going. If the Squeezebox family of hard and
software doesn't find a way to get this working in the easy,
user-friendly way that has made my two SB3s essential to my daily
musical life, then something else will come along and do the job
better.

I'm not a techie, so the prospect of lashing up something very
complicated that in the end just means I have to fiddle with my computer
to get music running on my SB goes against what my SB currently gives
me. Running Spotify-like streaming services is as essential now as
streaming my own music library and accessing internet radio.

--
whitman