the router was on channel 1, where everything worked fine, except my
laptop which frequently lost connection. As another remote network is
broadcasting on same channel 1 (I live in a city), I decided to move to
channel 6, where I could not see other radio activity.

So I changed the settings in the router to channel 6, did a factory
reset in the SB3 (as suggested in this threat) and tried to
re-connect...without success. The SB3 keeps looking for a radio signal
and times out after 30 seconds. No success for another try.

I have not yet sniffed radio signals while the SB3 is looking for
connection yet, as suggested in this threat; I will do that to see what
is going on.

funny thing is that when I repeat the whole procedure and change back
to radio setting 1 I get inmediate connection.

I am in Europe, my modem is on Europe settings, as is my SB3. I use
IEEE 802.11g standard (=2.4GHz) with WPA2 encryption.

The thing with European WiFi radio signals is that the radio channels
do partly overlap; so you need at least 4 channels between two adjacent
settings to get the least radio interference.

see
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_(802.11b,g_WLAN).png

--
history

------
1 SB3 + DACMagic + Rotel + Transmission line speakers
1 Boom
1 MSI Barebone AXIS VIA C7 1.5GHz with FreeNAS + SlimNAS