TheLastMan;465837 Wrote:
> > aubuti;463321 Wrote:
> > Because some people don't keep their computers on all the time and don't
> > want to turn on the computer to listen to music. Or they don't like the
> > noise or energy consumption of a computer when they don't need it, eg,
> > to listen to internet radio, Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody, etc.> >
>
> Which is why there is so much effort in the SB community put into
> running SC/SBS on Network Attached Storage devices.  Heck, people are
> even running it on intelligent wall warts now!
>
> My NAS consumes about 5w in standby mode, and 18w serving music.
> That is about the same as one low energy lightbulb.  It means that I
> can keep 7.3.3 - which works just fine for me.
>
> I think 7.3.3 was the last iteration of software designed
> specifically for the Duet / Boom / SB3 / Transporter line.  Logitech
> have moved on with their product line and good luck to them.  But if
> you don't want to get dragged along with them, and forced to accept
> software and firmware more appropriate to their new touch screen
> devices, then you will need to have a server on 24/7 - and for most,
> that means a NAS.
Not quite sure why you quoted my post in your response. I was converted
long ago to the 24/7 server idea, and have now switched from a NAS to an
Atom-based PC that matches your NAS's specs for power consumption. I was
merely answering another post that asked why everyone didn't do that.

I should add, though, that even with more powerful NASs and Sheeva
plugs and the likes, there are still a lot of users who don't want to
turn on the computer to listen to music. Which is why Logitech is also
putting effort into partnerships with music services via MySB.com. For
example, my neighbor who listens almost exclusively to Rhapsody and
internet radio became sold on SBs when he found out that he turn off his
computer, unplug it from his stereo, and listen via the SB directly from
his router.

Also, your last para seems to suggest that there's nothing in 7.4.0 for
owners of SB/SB2/SB3/TP/Duet, and that's simply not the case. Yes, if
you want to avoid the upgrade to 7.4.0 you need to be running a local
SqueezeCenter. But you shouldn't necessarily avoid 7.4.0 just because
you don't have an SB Radio or SB Touch. In particular, 7.4.0 has a lot
of nice new features for the SBC (although a couple small steps
backwards as well).

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). MSI Wind desktop (Ubuntu 8.10)
feeding: Living room: SB Touch + SBC > NAD C325 BEE > Vandersteen 1;
Kitchen/Dining: SB2 + SBC > AudioSource Amp100 > 2 pair of Polk RC60i;
Basement: SB3 > JVC JA-S44 > ESS Tempest LS8; Bedroom: Boom and SB
Radio;Study: Duet > Klipsch ProMedia 2.0; Kid's bedroom: SB2 > Klipsch
ProMedia 2.0
http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/