JJZolx;469591 Wrote:
> How well does your five year old read?
>
> I would suggest an inexpensive CD boombox for less than 1/2 the cost of
> the Squeezebox Radio.  Burn a stack of CDs and place colorful labels on
> the CDs that the kids will recognize.  You'll also have FM radio
> available, for which the kids only have to move a dial tuner to find new
> music.
>
> Sometimes the championing of these products goes so far beyond common
> sense that it amazes me.

My 5 year old is actually reading quite well already.

We tried the whole CD player thing for the reasons you suggest.  She
just wasn't interested in it.  Once the novelty wore off, she just
wasn't interested - she wanted her music played via a SB.

All kids are different, so perhaps others would take to that.  I guess
since she sees Daddy using a squeezebox all of the time, she wants to
too.

Kids don't know to be intimidated by technology.  I'm amazed at how my
daughter can navigate websites on my wife's laptop.  She even knows how
to print stuff and navigate the dialogs.

Another disadvantage of the CD player idea is the mess of CDs all over
the place.  A kid's playroom is bound to be trashed to begin with - why
add to the stuff that get's trashed.  I'm glad that in my daughter's
room, we don't have CDs to clean up in addition to her books and toys.

To bring JJ's suggestion into the realm of SB, Moose is a good option.
This is because it has an "album chooser" interface that you can use
that allows musical selections to be made based on the cover.  You can
enlarge the covers to as large as you want.  You would however need a
computer to run Moose on.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 3 Booms, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 11.0 Server running
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 27,698 songs, 2,304 albums, 439 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior
Looking forward to new Porcupine Tree, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, and
The Beatles Box set.  September will be an expensive month :-)