If you still have a file that gives you the wrong value, please file a
bug and attach the file.

There is one case where gain values can be added together, and that is
if you have iTunes SoundCheck data and an RVAD or RVA2 tag.

The basics are that if you have a REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag (in either
ID3v2 or APE) it will be used as-is.  If not, we look for RVAD or RVA2
and take that value.  Then we look for iTunes SoundCheck data in a
comment tag, if found this is added to the value from RVAD/RVA2 if any
(we do this because that's what iTunes does). LAME tag data is not
used.

So for best results, you simply need to run your files through Foobar
or another app that writes a set of 4 REPLAYGAIN gain and peak tags.

--
andyg