On Sep 10, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Dave D wrote:

Dave Dewey Wrote:

Read this.
http://www.hymn-project.org/

I did.

I got far enough in the FAQ to see that JHymn needs to log into an
Apple server, pretending to be a legitimate computer running iTunes, in
order to get a key to unlock the tunes.  If you want to take that
chance, great.

I am not a lawyer, but my (pretty extensive) research on this issue comes up with results that are not as clear cut as yours.

JHymn logs into an Apple server to get *your* FairPlay keys, not some random hacker keys, or whatnot. Thus, you're modifying music that you've paid for, using keys that you've been given a right to use to access that music.

So at worst, you've violated Apple's Terms of Use (the discussion about whether click-thru licenses are even legal to start with is a separate one altogether), but I have a hard time seeing this violating the DCMA. Plus, we all knowing, modifying DRM'ed music is double plus ungood, right? :)

Or let me rephrase the argument this way: JHymn has been around for a long time now. If there was any hint of DCMA violation, I think Apple would have nuked them from orbit with their army of lawyers, which as we know they're not shy about using.

Just my $.02 on this.

Victor