cooppw02;483521 Wrote:
> A lot of the capture cards do MPEG encoding, so the backend just has to
> be capable of dumping the stream to disk, doing commercial flagging, and
> running the database.  Just about any PC with a lot of storage would
> work.

I was talking about the front end, that's why I said "decode" - analog
capture cards or tuner sticks that don't have built-in MPEG2 or H.264
encoders should not be considered by anyone at any price for any reason.
For digital there's no encoding necessary as the cards are just
recording what they're receiving (clear-QAM, ATSC, DVB, etc..)

> Newegg has a fanless ION mobo/Atom CPU combo for less than $120.  You
> could put together a near-silent (or possibly even totally silent)
> front-end for well under $500.

$500 is a ton of cash to spend on a front end, especially when you may
want 3 or 4 of them.  The ION platform was promising this for under $200
and that's what all the Myth fans were raving about.  Solutions using a
SoC offer sub $200 completely fanless ability today.

The "free" solutions (Myth) actually cost more than the commercial in
many setups.

--
MelonMonkey

Bruno