My deepest condolences to Philipb, a SB3 dying so young is hopefully not
the standard.
Of course, as an electronic technician I'm used to see faulty equipment
everyday, but a low power consuming device like the SB3 is not normally
the victim of the usual heat damages or dried out capacitors you
normally see. But anyway, the SB3 has a high voltage power circuitry for
the VFD,so my first guess would be that the fault is located somewhere
around that, but as the SB3 goes out of production, it would suit
Logitech to publish a circuit diagram, so the remaining owners had a
chance to keep their "old" equipment alive.

Just for fun, I'm the proud owner of a 25 year old Sansui amplifier, a
15 year old Technics vinyl player and several other vintage stuff, but
if it is made properly and there is somebody out there with a circuit
diagram who can fix it, it will probably last you a lifetime.

--
bebop

Regards
Bebop

SC 7.3.x on Ubuntu 8.02(on old Dell D600 laptop), Duet SBC&SBR + Boom1
+ Boom2