I see what you're saying but I think you're conflating reliability with
ability to be repaired. I would expect that your TP will still be
working happily for years to come, just like your Compaq. However, if
you're unlucky and it does break repairs will be tricky due to parts
shortages - again just like your Compaq. There's nothing really that an
OEM can do about that if their parts suppliers decide to stop
production.

If it's really 12-13 years old, then you can forget being able to
replace pretty much any of it with new parts. Back then cards were
typically ISA or VESA, both long abandoned. If you're lucky and it has
PCI slots you're still facing problems because PCI now is not what it
was back then. Of course the CPU (and it's socket standard) are long
gone, likewise whatever memory standard it used (30 pin SIMMS?). The
motherboard won't be replacable, and you'd need an adapter to replace
the PSU (which you may have to make yourself!). Even hard drives will be
tricky as small PATA drives are hard to find these days, and the BIOS
won't support larger ones (if it's MFM or something like that you're out
of luck entirely). However - the one piece of good news is that 3.5"
internal floppy drives are still available!

--
radish

'HELP ME RAISE MONEY FOR CHILDREN'S CANCER RESEARCH!'
(HTTP://WWW.ADAMREEVE.COM/24IN24/)
http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric