I'd have to agree that the best solution is to get the seller to swallow
it back. Might be hard to do if you bought it "as is", although if the
seller knew it was unusable this isn't a lot different from shipping you
a box of rocks.

If you end up stuck with it, before you start trying to convert it into
a non-demo unit it seems to me there was at least one person posting
here with a SB3 who'd had the display unit fail. Someone else mentioned
that the display module is available for around $200.
So what you might have there is a donor display unit, ripe for
desoldering...

--
bobkoure