erland;494066 Wrote:
> Once again, if they use these $250K to spend some resources to encourage
> and offer better support for third party development I bet they would be
> able to get a lot more third party add-ons besides just the iPeng app.
>
> I understand that some people seems to think that everything will be
> better if it's owned by Logitech but I personally really don't think
> this is the case.
>
> I believe Logitech would get more advantages of supporting third party
> development than actually owning the third party development. One reason
> that we have some very creative solutions made by third party developers
> today is that they aren't restricted by the Logitech management and
> strategy in the same way as all in-house development are. Third party
> developers can create solutions that are a bit outside the box, while
> all in-house development has to follow the main strategy.

It depends.  If the net benefit of rebranding iPeng as the "Logitech
Remote App" for Squeezebox, advertising it and giving it away on the
Apple store generates an extra 5000 unit sales per year it would be far
better than hoping that 3rd party development generates these types of
additional sales.

--
jmpage2