pfarrell Wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 15:00 -0700, JJZolx wrote:
> > I don't understand the need for user intervention to update SB
> > firmware.
>
> It is a huge security problem to have servers randomly make changes to
> other computers. While the SB1/2 is not much of a computer, it is one.
>
> The security principal says that you need a user action to confirm
> any changes to a computer. Even the Microsoft Windows update does
> this.
>
> Pressing the power button is simple, but positive confirmation that
> the owner really wants this.
To a degree, I understand and agree with what you're saying.  However,
due to the fact that the SlimServer:SB connection is dead in the water
until the firmware is upgraded, then the notion that the user 'wants'
to update the firmware is a little far fetched.  It would be like your
computer stopping dead, with nothing you can do other than to obey the
onscreen instructions to press the spacebar to download and install
some operating system update.

--
JJZolx

Jim