maggior;508626 Wrote:
> On my system, it becomes very sluggish when performing a scan.  I
> haven't experienced droppouts in music, but I've experienced where it
> will go OTL (out to lunch) when transitioning to the next track,
> sometimes for upwards of 30 seconds.
>
> I do my scans on-demand because I usually want to listen to music right
> after it's been loaded on the server.  When I'm doing that, generally
> nobody else is using the squeezeboxes, so it isn't an issue.
>
> So it looks like you found your problem.  Now you can relax and enjoy
> some music!
>
> Cheers!

Hi there
the main problem with computer performance is usually SLOW DISKS --
normally not a problem when streaming audio but when scanning MySQL is
used as your DB is updated.

This isn't an inherent problem with the server -- it's always a shame
but most people buy rediculously overpowered CPU's (QUAD's for example)
and load and loads of RAM when all you really need --especially for a
server is just some DECENT FAST HDD's.

For some apps you might need a QUAD processor --that's another issue -
but for any sort of server you need FAST DISKS.

Cheers
jimbo

--
jimbo45