bhaagensen;508887 Wrote:
> You value sound-quality, hence choose the alternative with the best (for
> you) price/performance ratio, the Touch. That't not complicated :) Or if
> you want the very best from the two worlds, keep your TP as a digital
> source if funds allow. Both makes much sense to me.
>
> There is another aspect which seems to escape many. As you said, many
> seem to be of the opinion that the CDX2-2 is a better sounding transport
> than say a CD5XS. Fine. Suppose you accept that. Its at a truly high
> cost, but still... At the same time many (the same?) including Naim
> officially I think, argue that the HDX sounds better because it provides
> better data reading (rips) as it doesn't have to be done under the same
> almost-realtime restrictions as a cd-transport. For all intents and
> purposes I don't think the HDX does much else than EAC or dpPoweramp.
> Hence by using the Squeezebox as a transport you would get better source
> material to start with. Whether this would "make up" for whatever the
> CDX2-2 could improve on the transport side I have no idea, but this must
> be accounted for if you want to follow these arguments. It does make it
> clear that there is no clear winner, even by these kinds of arguments.
> Anyway, we need to try for ourselves I think.

Keeping the Transporter would be an option if there is a 'big'
difference between the Touch and the Transporter. But it there is not, I
would prefer to reduce the number of full size units on my HiFi rack and
just use the Touch. It is small enough to be tucked away on the side
somewhere or even kept on the DAC and used as a secondary control. The
colou screen would be much better then the Transporter's.

As for CD's for Transport, I prefer to move away from a CD player.
Simply because I find that when I have the squeezebox connected to the
Naim system I tend to listern more and more to the streamed music just
becuase it is convinient and can't be bothered to go and find the CD
from upstairs and place it in the CD player to play it even though the
CDX2 sounds better then the streamed music.

And becasue I have a CD player, I have not ripped all the CDs knowing
that I can always play them on the CD player which is better sounding.
By removing the CD player and having the DAC I will have a streamed
music that is better sounding then the CDX2. This will be the incentive
to rip all the CDs and then have them available at a flick of the iPhone
:)

ASenna02

--
ASenna04