I'm running:
Version: 7.4.1 - r28947 @ Tue Oct 20 08:13:15 PDT 2009
on XPpro sp3.

I switched to squeezeslave-0.9-126.exe from the link you provided and
my issue appears unchanged.  I select music to play and it appears to be
playing but there is no sound.  I try to pause the player, it
momentarily flashes the play icon, but then immediately goes back to the
pause icon.  If I select next or previous and then select pause it
pauses.  If I repeat this for all the players, it starts operating
normally and music plays.

At all times the players show up correctly on the information tab.  If
there is additional information, log files, or troubleshooting steps I
can take, let me know.  Thanks

--
mweb