sydsfloyd67;511658 Wrote:

> Well, isn't 'too small' (Slim) relative? For example, how much flash
> storage does it take to make the screensaver change settings every 5
> minutes? To maintain a reasonable list of URLs?

More than it has free.  The ip3k based players (SBR, SB2/3/Classic,
Boom) have no free storage, they don't even know they are displaying a
screensaver at all.  They just display whatever the server tells them,
they just know it is a bunch of lit pixels.

The formatting is done by the server.

> Is it that there isn't the necessary (SB3) storage, or that it's not
> accessible by Plugin architecture? Are there any custom firmwares
> about?

There is no free storage.  There is no custom firmware on the ip3k
based players.

If you're talking about Radio/Touch that's another matter entirely.

> Unfortunately, I'm finding the SB to be a "PC-centric" system, given
> the Settings dependence on Squeezebox Server software Plugins, given the
> primitive level of the alternative at mysqueezebox.com.

Define 'pc'.  The Touch is NOT a PC, yet it can be a server.  A sheeva
plug is not a PC either, yet can be a server.

> I appreciate your point in terms of a Desktop vs Laptop Server option.
> However I'd favor the central concept of a customizable independent
> 'radio-like' device that interacts directly on the web (neither Desktop
> nor Laptop dependent). Why can't a S'box connect to a website other than
> mysqueezebox.com, or how would you enable that? (I imagine more than one
> alternative site, with different focus or resources --I'd think that
> might 'inspire' Logitech to get something more than bare bones up since
> September (e.g. no RSS config, no mobile interface Remote page, etc.). I
> can already manage and play MP3 and playlists more readily on a
> remote-controlled CPUs on which they reside if I'll need to configure
> and run any local SB Server. Having the current SN/MSB + Internet Radio
> may be enough, but it's nowhere near what it could be (e.g.
> "my"squeezebox.com).

The Squeezebox can connect to servers other than 'mysb.com'.  A local
server (SBS) is one.  A remote SBS is another.  I am at work and playing
music from my home server right now, so I -am- connected to a remote
server.

Why is there no alternative to MySB: because no one has made one.  MySB
is really SBS with some proprietary extensions to handle multiple users
and some proprietary plugins for some services that would rather not
hand out their API to anyone who wants it.

You didn't ask for "I would like to be able to change display formats
on MySB.com", you asked for plugins that could run on ip3k based
players.  That isn't going to happen.

You can have applets that run on the Radio/Boom/Controller, but that's
another matter entirely.

If you have local music, you will need something to serve it, right?

So what's the big deal to have that 'something' also control what you
asked for via formatting?

You original question:

> Wouldn't one want to retain various settings made via SqueezeServer
> Plugins through either on/off cycle or restarting, and then use them
> when connecting to new 'Music Sources'? For example this might allow
> custom displays and some other changes to the interface beging made
> through SqueezeServer Plugins to be retained while moving to
> mysqueezebox.com. Can the Squeezebox v3 (SB3) store anything other than
> firmware locally in RAM? (If so, can/do Squeezeserver Plugins ever write
> to this? Seems they do not.)

The SB3 can NOT store anything other than firmware locally.  Plugins
for the SB3 run on the server, whether it is local or mysqueeezebox.com.
They do NOT run on the SB3.  They will not: the SB3 does not have
sufficient flash memory to run them.  It uses a strange processor (ip3k)
that requires expensive tools and knowledge to program.  It will not run
Perl or Lua.

There is no reason for a plugin that runs on a server to store
information on the SB3 anyway: the server would have far more storage
available than what is available in the SB3 flash.

It sounds like what you actually want is "a way to customize the
display of items served by MySB.com such as Napster/Last.fm/etc".

--
snarlydwarf