On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 10:47 -0700, bishopdonmiguel wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you feel 3 is a heavy investment
> For me, $800 is a heavy investment.

Well, part of that money was gone as soon as you opened the boxes,
but there is an active used market, it would cost less
if you sold and rebought.

>   I suppose I am trying to encourage Slim
> Devices to build upgradeability into any new units.  I am no engineer
> and I am likely oversimplifying the matter but the idea of
> "componentizing" the design seems logical (but perhaps impractical?).

They have done this, more and more in later designs.
But something that sells for $200 is not going to have
much upgrade potential.

>   If someone wants a new & improved display, or a better DAC, or a
> WMA/FLAC decoder, or ???... just buy it and plug it in.

I think most of this is impractical. Of course, the two digial outputs
of your SB1s can drive any DAC you want. But most of the external DACs
cost more than SB2s.

In general, the "upward upgrading" concept doesn't work very well
for lots of stuff. You can't put a more powerful motor in your
2003 BMW just because the 2006 version is better. Or, if you can
it costs more than it is worth. I once bought an ALR computer
that had most of its parts on plug in cards. But the cards cost
$100 and new motherboards are less.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html