I would also never rely on PM's on the forum.  I, for one, am accessing via
email so I'm rarely making use of the forum.  I only go in when I need to reply
to an older message that I've mistakenly wiped from my server.  The few PM's
I've gotten (only just checked today) get as old as July.  They are not very
obvious.  I've seen some forums that have new messages pop up if you are
online, but even that is not something the sender can rely on.

I can certainly sympathise overall.  I had some nasty troubles with a router a
while back (router reset every 15-30 minutes).  Fortunately I had two older
ones to test as backup.  I still suffer from sudden dropouts which take my
ibook offline as well as the squeezeboxes.  90% signal can just disappear.  My
only guess is that it's a particular channel on a cordless phone nearby. I've
learned to just live with the (usually only 1-2/week) dropouts and just run up
to reset the router (quicker than waiting).

Hopefully your new router will help shed some light.

-k