Mnyb/Phil/bpa,

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions. I have a nasty feeling that mnyb
may be onto something with the 48kHz crystal. I do recall Wayne (Bolder)
advising that the mods may impact on the ability of the SB2 to play
(some) radio stations but I'm almost certain he said nothing about it
impacting on the ability to play high res files. However, this was all
about 4 years back and high res files weren't really even on the
horizon.

I do have a stock SB3 in my headphone system. I will hook it up to SBS
7.4.2 tonight and see if it will play the 24/96 flac file. This might
give us a quick answer. Unfortunately, I don't have a 24/88.2 file to
try on the SB2.

If the 96/24 flac file plays fine on the SB3, perhaps I'll buy/download
an 88.2/24 flac file to try on the SB2.

On the other hand, if the SB3 won't play the 24/96 either, I'll start
working through your various suggestions above.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

--
DSK