Not sure if this has been covered in previous posts but here my two
cents.  I would suggest the screen being divided into two sections.  The
section on the right would be the "now playing" section that could have
album covers and perhaps a certain number of songs upcoming in the
playlist.  It would somewhat similar to the current "now playing" screen
on the iphone/touch interface in iPeng but with more info--perhaps
instead of having to swipe to the playlist, it is presented together.

The section on the left could be a number of different things,
configurable by the user.  It could be either the play synch screen or
it could be the "more screen" in that you could choose to go to
different sources of music. That is where I see the big benefit.  You
could in essence vastly improve the otherwise crappy UI of the duet in
terms of building playlist.  I would think drag/drop capability of
individual tracks or albums would be a big plus.

Basically, it would look similar to what the current web ui looks like
it that you could see what is playing/upcoming while also conducting
searches to build the playlist out even more.  The addded benefit of
drag/drop would be a huge plus.  Additionally, I would assume you could
build bug free/better designed ui that they can.

My big use of the squeezebox is searching for music online and/or my
collection to build playlists on the go.  I really don't do too much
other than (that is, not too interested in high res albums, years of
songs, lyrics, etc--I just want to listen to music I like).  The current
UI frankly sucks for doing that.  My focus all along is trying to get
squeezebox to be more like Sonos in that aspect.  At least with Sonos,
it is intuitive and novices not schooled in the black arts of
deciphering the design logic of the duet can pick up the remote and more
or less find music without aid.  And don't get me started on erasing the
playlist by pressing play.  Anything you can do to compensate for the
shortcomings of logitech is a big plus in my book.

--
bhall