On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 13:46 -0700, Dave Edwards wrote:
> I have to dig out the old remote every time a new firmware is
> released.

Wow, that really is, er, less than optimal.

I'm still not happy, from a security view, in having it be
driven from the server, but having it be enabled
by the web or CLI interface and then done
more simply would meet my security paranoia.

> Would it be possible to add an option to the SlimServer web interface
> to perform the firmware upgrade? This would resolve the issue.

So how's this for a idea:

You go to the Web/CLI interface, drive down deeply to find the
"prepare for firmware upgrade on wimpy key press" option.
Then you do sometime easy to teach a learning remote, like
volume up, or "8" or "down arrow"

It is then user initiated over the web/cli interface,
but the actual firmware transfer is still triggered
by a remote key to the SqueezeBox itself.

This can't be hard (famous last words for a software developer).
and I think it meets all the requirements we've heard
about this over the past months.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html