seanadams;493928 Wrote:
> Obtain a working SB3. Disassemble, remove CPU module (using CA solvent
> if needed on mezzanine connector). Using SMD hot air rework station and
> nozzle suitable for TSOP 48 package, remove flash chip (marked
> AM29LV160xxx or compatible). Install in compatible programmer using
> appropriate adaptor and extract the flash image.

I know you're joking. Well, that your instructions are correct but that
your point is that "fixing" a demo unit is not worth the considerable
trouble. But is it not possible to extract a flash image from a
firmware update downloaded from slimdevices.com like
squeezebox2_130.bin? Is it not the case that a firmware update
re-writes the device ROM (EPROM? I don't really know what I'm talking
about) with N bytes from the downloadable firmware file, starting at
byte M in the firmware file (perhaps discarding some error checking
bytes interspersed in the file)? Is it not the case that the firmware
for an SB2/SB3 resides in something like EPROM, the settings in
something like NVRAM, such that someone might, just might, be able to
extract the ROM image bytes from squeezebox2_130.bin and use that to
"fix" a demo unit?

Not that I would ever bother, I'm just intrigued as to how this works.
:-)

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/