I agree smart playlists are the way forward.
But I think they have to be based on what is in the tags somehow.

I think Genres and the standard tags would be best.

I think we can already have multi genres using ; or something?

I don't think I would ever feel happy putting loads of work into
updating the database if there was even the slightest risk that I could
lose it all on a rescan.

I'm sure it's been suggested but surely you would do a search in the
web interface (advanced search or whatever, then save the result as a
playlist, but rather than saving the tracks, it saves the query.

--
Bruce Hartley