MikeDelta;532780 Wrote:
> Frank,
>
> First of all, I've been using AAC for a long time now and I think it's
> a great program. I'm trying to understand some of the options that are
> not that obvious to me.
>
> I think I understand what you're trying to tell me, but it doesn't
> fully answer my question.
>
> I have played/experimented with the CLI of squeezeboxserver and I know
> for a fact that the CLI gives all the information you need about
> artists, albums and tracks to make a catalog like AAC does. The CLI
> even provides a (partial) link to the (cached?) coverart.
>
> Because of the need for the MySql driver you're probably accessing the
> database directly without the CLI.
>
> I recall having read something about the need for a drive letter to get
> the albumart, but while looking at the catalogs html output file, I can
> see that the links to the album art do not have a reference to the
> drive letter or directories at all.
>
> So I wondered, why would AAC need a path to the directories where the
> music files are stored?
>
> If I understand you explanation correctly, the starting folder can be
> used as an index to get only partial information on the catalog.
>
> In my case the M: drive points to the mp3 files only while the catalog
> contains all albums which includes mp3,aac,ogg,wma and flac files.
> These aac, ogg and other files are NOT accessable through this drive M:
> !
>
> So far I enter a drive letter in the Remote Server/NAS options screen,
> a 'Full remote physical path to music share' and 'Starting folder' on
> the 'optional' filters because the program requires it.
>
> So, I'm trying to understand the need for a drive letter pointing to
> the actual music files, and if it is a way of filtering out unwanted
> stuff, why does my catalog contain all the music and not only mp3
> files?

When the starting folder is not used, you don't need a drive letter.
When Starting folder is used, the drive letter and mapping is only used
to enable the Browse button for an intuitive interface which help
prevent errors. Another option would be to not use a drive letter and
let the user enter the path manually. Which, will result in path errors
(on linux NAS based devices these are also case sensitive) and will
cause strange ACC behaviour (no album art etc).

The actual reference to the album art is not related to the drive
letter (in ACC v1.x this was actually the case as this version would
offer an option to link to album art files or get them from SBS).

For reasons of simplicity I made the drive letter requirement mandatory
although not required when not using a starting folder.

--
SilverRS8

Author of -'AlbumCatalogCreator' (http://acc.vanholt.nl)- for
SqueezeCenter '_' (http://www.badkamerpech.nl) SlimServer.
2xSB3, 1xDuet, 1xRadio, 1xiPhone iPeng, Ubuntu NAS + SBS