I just tried the obvious Windows remedy, uninstalling and reinstalling,
and SlimServer seems to run fine now. Of course this means that I have
to rescan the library and reset all preferences, but at least it
works.

I uninstalled SlimServer, moved lame.exe to the C:\Windows folder,
deleted the SlimServer folder from C:\Program Files and did a fresh
reinstall of SlimServer from the SlimDevices website. Now SlimServer is
able to detect lame as well, which it didn't before the uninstall.

What's that old joke about getting out of a car that doesn't start,
closing the dors, getting back in again and try starting again...
Windows sure is weird sometimes.

Regards,
swedela

--