herbman wrote:
> I know back in the day (slimp3, sb1(no g, g), etc.) that many people
> would have issues with the server responses, etc.. but as an
> experienced user/sysadmin-type I could always work with whatever. With
> the motion towards the player-side thicker logic, it seems that the
> general quality level is a bit more challenged these days.

I'm not sure I'd agree. The old Slim Devices were slim and stupid. It
was easy for them to be reliable. Of course, bad Wifi and other issues
still caused problems for them, but once you had a proper server setup,
they worked.

> Which is best? I'd be inclined to think the boom just from its legacy
> design sw-wise. Do people feel that the boom will be on its way out
> soon to be replaced by a similar squeezeplay-based device?

All computer stuff is on its way out, the day its released.

There are too many products in the lineup to answer "what's best"
without knowing you requirements.

I've been beta testing a Touch for over a year, and I think its solid
enough for production, but it is a release 1.0 product. And its a lot
different than the old Slim Devices, its got a full blown Linux in it,
so its not as reliable, yet, as the old fixed function devices. And
there is a bit of a problem that it doesn't yet do everything that the
SB3/Classic did.

Between the Radio and the Boom, I prefer the sound of the Boom and do
not need the small size of the Radio. If you are space constrained, you
may prefer the Radio. Its no secret that the Radio firmware is a release
1.0 product, and while its been out for some time, 99% of the
engineering effort has gone to the Touch. Thus there are some known
issues with the Radio. I expect them to get fixed fairly soon now that
the Touch has been launched.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/