This was brought up in another thread recently and for the life of me I
can't find it.  It's probably good to break a discussion of this into a
separate thread anyway.

I think this could be a good idea.  It's obvious that the Touch will
always have limitations as a server.  VortexBox could allow Logitech to
offer a reasonably priced alternative.  It's been developed from the
beginning as an appliance, which would position it well with the rest
of the product line.

Though it's improved a lot since the beginning, CD ripping and tagging
has been the weak area of Vortex box when compared to something like
dbPowerAmp IMO.

So, what if it was taken a bit further.  What if VortexBox offered a
version had an HDMI connection?  And had GNOME or KDE desktop
installed?  With WINE?  And a wireless keyboard/mouse (Logitech makes
them I think ;-)?  They could also partner with Illustrate, the
creators of dbPowerAmp, to include that in the bundle.  All
preconfigured to run right out of the box!

And while we are at it, throw in a version of squeezeplay with an HD
skin that looked nice on a big screen TV?

That could be a pretty sweet product I think.  One stubmling block I
can think of is I wonder if there is a license issue with WINE that
would make VortexBox/Logitech leary of including it in the box.

I'm sure Agilis would jump for joy if a partnership like this were
proposed, assuming the terms were beneficial.

What do you guys think?

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch.  SuSE 11.0 Server
running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 33,060 songs, 2,656 albums, 484 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior