pipetman;543049 Wrote:
> Just got my SB Touch (and love it) and was excited to play some hi-res
> files through it. Like many others I experienced some stuttering when
> beginning to play 24/96 flac files and looking into the issue I came up
> scratching my head about a few things:
>
> - By default flac files are decoded by the SB. Apparently that can be
> changed via the file type settings in the server configuration page.
> But those options leave me a bit confused (and I couldn't come up with
> a wiki page explaining those). Under FLAC the following is set:
>
> FLAC -> Native (Native/Disabled)
> MP3 -> Disabled (field greyed-out)
> PCM -> flac (flac/Disabled)
>
> So, I'm not sure what the different fields are for and what kind of
> effect I would see when selecting "Disabled". And how do I turn on
> server-side decoding via this dialog?
>
> - I also played some 24/192 files. What happens to those, as the Touch
> only plays 24/96 natively? Are they downsampled to 24/96 or to 16/44.1?
> Is there any way to check what bit-depth/sample rate is actually playing
> through the Touch?
>
> Thanks!
It's simple...and complicated.

By default, FLAC is sent as FLAC to the Touch and decoded there -
that's the FLAC/Native entry
If you set FLAC/Disabled then one of the other entries will be used
(MP3 or PCM) If PCM is enabled that will be used (FLAC converted to PCM
on the server and sent as PCM to the Touch). If PCM and FLAC are both
disabled, FLAC is converted to MP3 via LAME (which needs to be
installed specially - that's why it's greyed-out on your setup at the
moment).
If all 3 are disabled nothing will play!

If you play a 24/192 flac, it is converted via SOX on the server to
24/96 flac (176.4 is converted to 88.2) - you can't change this
directly via Settings, it requires editing of the custom-convert.conf
file.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio