I use SB for my home music system and itunes for synching with my
ipods/iphones. I'm not sure there is anything much easier for you to
do, but then again, I find it pretty simple. Here's what I do:

1. My SB stuff is not connected to ITUNES in any way. That is, I do NOT
use the SB/itunes integration features.

2. My music is all on a USB hard drive connected to my home computer
(that runs SB Server and iTUNES). Skipping some of the details about
how things are organized, assume it is all on D:\music  (my actual
setup is more complicated as I have FLAC files that only SB sees,
mp3/aac files that both SB and Itunes sees, and then mp3 versions of
FLAC files that only itunes sees; this is all handled automatically by
my file directory structure).

3. I tell SB Server that the music library is D:\music. It scans this,
creates its own database, etc. I then use SB to play this music.

4. I also tell ITUNES that the music library is D:\music. Itunes keeps
its own library updated with this info. I don't use itunes for playing
anything, but I do synch my ipods/iphones to this ITUNES account.

5. If I add a new album, song, etc. I add this to my itunes library.
There are several ways to do this depending on whether you want itunes
using its own naming/directory structure approach. For example, itunes
now has an automatic way to do this.  You can put the new music in the
"automatically add to itunes" subdirectory (see link).

http://lifehacker.com/5356619/itunes-finally-adds-watched-folder-to-automatically-add-new-music

6. To make SB see the new music, I simply do the incremental music scan
(scan for new music) or occasionally I simply do a rescan of my complete
library.

Bottom line: I have one copy of files on a drive and both itunes and SB
looks at these files, but otherwise don't interact with each other.

Let me know if you have any questions or I can clarify.

--
garym