I only really use the multiroom function when I'm having a party so it
shouldn't be too much of a problem to wire the server to the router in
such circumstances.

Does the router itself make any difference? I have to routers one dual
band Netgear (top of the range router) and a netopia cheap router. The
netopia seems to get better internet speed so I use it.

Should I change to the dual band router?

If I wire the server and then access the server from a difference
laptop it won't cause any problems will it?

Also what if I used powerline network extenders would they be any
better than using the built in wi-fi?

Cheers

--
shane732