paul44birch;554700 Wrote:
> Quite a lot- 500 plus.  What is EAC and dbpoweramp?
>
> Did you get me question about changing settings in squeezebox?

do you use itunes integration in Squeezebox? If so, I assume the only
setting change you need is to tell Squeezebox in the settings where
your ituneslibrary file is located. I don't use itunes integration, so
not 100% sure about those settings.

dbpoweramp and EAC are CD rippers that both do secure ripping and use
accuraterip. Google them, or even use the search function within this
forum and you'll find lots of info. dbpoweramp is probably a bit more
user friendly, but neither is a simple as itunes.

why apple lossless? other than ipod/iphones what is the point? I'd
recommend FLAC files for your lossless files (that would also play on
your squeezeboxes). And then for my iphones/ipods I'd make a mirror
directory of mp3 files from these FLAC files. Many people would agree
that using lossless files on a portable is a waste of space. And
although I use itunes for loading up my iphones/ipods, I do NOT use
itunes integration within my squeezeboxserver. Instead, I just point
squeezeboxserver to the same music directory that itunes uses (i.e.,
all the music files), and let Squeezebox sever maintain its own library
of these files. Keeping the two separate minimizes lots of issues.

Seems that you are new to most of this (as I was a couple of years
ago). My best advice is to slow down a bit, read, read, read about all
these options on this forum, wiki's etc. and play around a bit. Bottom
line is that you want to rip all your CDs to lossless ONE TIME ONLY.
And you want to make sure you've made good decisions about type of
file, directory structures, how to handle artwork, etc. etc. I ripped
over 4,000 CDs to mp3 initially, only to discover when done that I
should have used a lossless format. Lesson learned. I'm still working
on reripping everything with dbpoweramp to FLAC.  Useful tools:

1. dbpoweramp (full reference version, which does cost a little)
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm
2. mp3tag (tag program that works with all sorts of files, not just
tags)
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

--
garym