Does it have a small (3.5mm?) mini plug on the other end from the
emitter? If so, and if your SB supports the IR Blaster plugin then you
can use the cable and plugins to send infrared remote commands to
another device. You would stick the mini-plug in the SB's headphone
jack, and position the IR emitter over the IR window on the other
device. A typical application is to control the on/off and volume on
your amplifier, using only the SB's infrared remote.

As far as I know, only the "older" SBs (SB, SB2, SB3/Classic, Boom,
Transporter) support the IR Blaster plugin. The Duet Receiver
definitely doesn't because it doesn't have an IR receiver or a
headphone jack. The Touch has some IR capabilities, but they are more
limited than the SB3/Classic, so they would require a different plugin.
I'm not sure about the Radio's IR capabilities, but they are probably
equal to or less than the Touch's.

--
aubuti