erland;563540 Wrote:
> Then we should try to get Logitech to correct so it reliably and fast
> gets an address from the DHCP server instead of forcing users to use
> static IP's when they shouldn't have to.
> If it takes minutes to get an IP from a DHCP server something is
> seriously wrong.

And devices like an iPhone (or Controller?) that request/renew leases
frequently suffer the most. DHCP bugs can be tough to track down (even
folks who know what they're doing are often hampered by limitations
like wireless adapters that don't allow promiscuous mode and can't
capture packets with wireshark), so making it easier to switch to
static IP sounds like a relatively simple workaround for Logitech.
Also, who wants to wait for a bug fix? Both my Controllers (using older
versions of SBS) were unreliable until I gave one a static IP. Newer
Controller firmwares are said to have some DHCP fixes, but I didn't
want to wait for a "proper" fix since a static address was good enough.
Using a static IP means less code running on the Squeezebox, which can
only help. And what happens if Logitech decides the DHCP server
embedded in a wifi access point is at fault? Logitech can't fix that,
but static IP would be a good workaround.

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
Free plugins:  'AllQuiet'