cliveb;566069 Wrote:
> Unless the firmware and/or server has been changed recently, I don't
> think this is relevant in the context of the Squeezebox implementation
> of Replaygain.
>
> As far as I'm aware, when the bug that allowed positive RG values to
> introduce clipping was fixed, it was done in a fairly primitive way, by
> simply backing off the RG adjustment according to the peak level. No
> account was taken of the playback setting of the Squeezebox itself.
> (Example: you have a track with a peak level of -3dB and a RG vaue of
> +6dB. With the SB volume set to 100%, the RG adjustment should be
> restricted to +3dB. If the SB volume were set to -3dB, you could *in
> theory* apply the whole +6dB adjustment. But this doesn't actually
> happen: it's still restricted to +3dB).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know this is only the case
when the peak level doesn't allow for positive gain, because it would
cause clipping. So, although primitive, it would only apply to
albums/tracks with a very high peak level.

I looked at the peak level for several classical albums. It seems this
is given as a number between 0 and 1. Most of my classical albums have
a peak level around 0.9. So this would leave 19% volume gain without
clipping.

But maybe this reasoning is totally wrong.

--
Teus de Jong