garym;566125 Wrote:
> maybe. depends on the quality of the soundcard. Many soundcards resample
> 44.1 to 48. This is a bad idea, although if the resampling is handled
> well enough you probably can't hear the difference. I prefer having
> 44.1 played as 44.1. And SB devices do this.

It is more dependent on the driver rather than the soundcard and on the
OS.

The WaveInput for Linux uses a PCM stream and AFAICT can be left
unmodified from application to SBS.

Windows is a different matter. Between Windows audio subsubsystem and
the audiocard driver the audio stream can be mangled.  I believe that
even with a simple audio card  Window processes audio "natively" at
48kHz so that "normal" 44.1kHz audio streams from applications will
first be upsampled to 48kHz, processed (e.g. volume, bass, "concert
hall" etc) and then downsample to 44.1kHz to be output on a simple
audio card.  Better audio cards will have better drivers and better
processing but only when audio is played through the specific card.

--
bpa