Phil Leigh;568202 Wrote:
> {as a once proud and fully paid-up member of the LP12 club...}
> [SNIP VERY INTERESTING POST]
> Sorry, wandered off-topic somewhat.

No problem, thanks for your input, glad to hear I am not the only one!

I think we rip LPs for different reasons.  Although once a bachelor
audiophile hi-fi nut (hence about £10k of turntable and amps), with a
young family, I no longer have the time or space to set up a system, or
listen to it, the way I would ideally like.  However what I really did
miss was the music.  I make no pretence that it is in any way superior
sounding to (or even as good as) a ripped CD.  By your standards my LP
recording process is distinctly sub-standard!

My recording of the LPs is just incidental to a process of going
through my LP collection and deciding what I want to listen to through
the Squeezebox and what I don't.  As I say, if the LP recording is
really rubbish (and I really want the musiic) I will buy the CD as well
anyway.

If I was a totally rational human being I would sell the LP12 for the
£2,000 or so I would get for it, buy my entire LP collection as CDs,
rip them, then sell the CDs and LPs on e-bay.

However there is something slightly special about owning music in a
"hard" format such as a CD or LP.  My 21 year old nephew has given up
buying iTunes downloads and has now started buying CDs again - for
reasons he cannot really explain.  He is now going through his
downloads and buying the CDs of the music he really likes!

--
TheLastMan

Matt

*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology Diskstation 107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157)
running Squeezebox Server 7.5.0 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline. LPs ripped usingBehringer
UCA202 USB into Windows XP PC