Thanks for the response Toby. I run 7.5.1 on a fairly old laptop. Thats
all it does. I have to say I've always been a bit confused regarding
mySB and don't tend to use it however, I thought it not working too
might throw some light on the problem.
I don't have a very good understanding of the connectiviy involved for
mySB
Is the SBC making a connection directly to a server on the mySB
network, or does it connect to my laptop running SBS which then makes a
further connection to mySB? Or are you implying from your question that
both are possible?

I spent a good deal of time going round in circles last night, but I'm
sure at one point, the only way I could see the option to try and
connect to mySB.com was when the squeezebox server s/w was shut down on
the laptop. At this point it would do its annoying little blip and
refuse to do connect..

>From the laptop I can nslookup www.mysqueezebox.com I can ping it and
browse to the website. Pretty sure the internet connectivity is OK.

Is BBC iPlayer connectivity handled by squeezebox server?

It may be that I am seeing problems when connections are originating
from the SBC direct to the internet

--
andyman99