It really comes down to whether the genre feature is inclusive or exclusive.

It seems to me that making it exclusive (i.e. "omit all songs that match the unchecked genres") is more useful than inclusive ("include songs that match any checked genre"). This solves the play me anything that's not Christmas music problem.

Of course, most people only have one genre per song, so it only affects those of us with multiple genres per song.