MrSinatra;581391 Wrote:
> it did finally go away.
>
> however, even though it found the new computers mac addy, it kept
> "forgetting it" so i eventually had to add the mac manually.  i think
> this might be b/c it was confused that the IP # was the same as the
> orig computer, (that no longer has that IP, and was otherwise gone from
> ipeng and turned off).

Hm. It _should_ not do that but remember the MAC for the server's name,
not it's IP address for the exact reason that it's supposed to work with
DHCP, too.
I'll have to investigate a bit, my server's don't support WOL and I
only have my home Mac to test this.

> i can't activate both b/c this is for my Dad, and its a step too far.
> he needs absolute simplicity for this to be useful for him.

Ok. After the bugfix release is out (I'll probably submit that next
week) iPeng should stop waking the server once you turn the iPod off
(enable the screen saver, that is), so I think that's what you'll
need.

> i basically am trying to just get him to do "random mix" and thats it.
> along those lines, it would be cool if i could replace the "genres"
> button with random song mix at the bottom, something like that.

You can. Just go to the main menu and press "Edit" on the navigation
bar on top.

> stop SBS in the taskbar, i don't follow what you mean?  if u mean the
> ipod, how do you do that?  i'm not very familiar with ipods.

It's a bit complicated. Assuming this is an iPod with iOS4 you need to
doubleclick the front button on the iPod, then you get to the tab bar.
On the tab bar, you "hold" the iPeng icon, it will the get a red "-"
sign, if you touch that, iPeng will quit.
As said before: It's a bug that it keeps communicating in the
background.

> i'll have to have him wait for the fix...  is there a way to get the
> ipod to install free updates automatically?

Unfortunately not.

> also, how long should it take to "synchronize the cache" ?  ipeng says
> it is doing this when i hit albums, but it doesn't seem to make much
> progress.  there are about 16k mp3s.  what does it actually do?  store
> art on the ipod or what?

This entirely depends on the server's speed. It loads the list of
artists, albums and genres. Artists and genres usually are not an issue
but albums can be slow on pre-7.6 servers and slow machines.
If this is Windows, you could also have an issue with the virus
scanner, especially with McAfee.
Artwork gets cached later but that's entirely in the background.

> EDIT: also, what does the ipeng plugin do if i activate it in the SBS
> webui?
It provides an iPhone-friendly skin for the web interface. You don't
need it with the app.

--
pippin

---