I'm running version 10.1.0.54.

My files are stored on a NAS and not on the local machine, so I can't
say whether that changes the behaviour at all.  It's exactly how I had
it set with an old version and it wouldn't automatically update, so
this behaviour is new to the newer versions.

Are the timestamps of your MP3s getting updated when the image changes?
Mine are, and I guess that's how it sees that changes have occurred.

When I fire iTunes up the NAS starts seeing a load of activity as it
(presumably) scans the files for changes.  Then, when I plug in an iPod
I can see the exact same tracks that have had the images updates sync
over to the iPod.

Make sure when you test that you make the changes when iTunes isn't
running, as it seems to scan for changes at startup.  This might mean
that it will miss changes that have occurred whilst it is running, and
who knows whether it will see them at the next run?

--
paulster