Unfortunately this won't help you, but I have the same exact problem
with the Dlink DI-624 router.  It usually won't reconnect unless I put
it in a magical space where it suddenly connects, even though signal
strenth is 40%+.  When connected, it usually goes to 0%, then 100%,
then counts down to about the normal signal strength of 40% or so.

Very annoying on the reconnection issue, however.

I am not at home, but I am not sure if there is a Upnp setting to turn
off like the Belkin as suggested previously.  I will try this weekend.

--
rme