>I'll also deliberately mix iPhone and iPad developments here since both
>require effort and if 10 people want something done on iPad it may be
>more important than 5 people wanting something on iPhone.

I'm using iPeng on iPhone 3G only.

>USER INTERFACE ON IPHONE
>* New "Non-Swipe" User Interface for the "NowPlaying" screen on iPhone.
I quite like the swipes here.  No need to remove swipes, even if you do add
buttons (like Touch UI).

The only thing I found a bit confusing here is when I turn iPhone to landscape
orientation.  Swipes don't work (can't get to playlist/player selection).
Touching the screen toggles between show/hide info, and also a left-arrow and
what looked like right-arrow.  I thought maybe these were buttons to get to the
playlist and player selection screens, but the left-arrow goes to Browse menus,
and the "right-arrow" was actually the play button :-)

>player selection instead of the trash can.
You could just have the trash can button on the playlist screen, doesn't make
much sense to me on Now Playing track screen.
Maybe NP screen could have a button to show playlist instead (same as
right-swipe).

>* New "SqueezePlay like" menu operation. This would drop the iPeng
>specifics in that tapping artwork would no longer play the album

I quite like touch-to-play on album artwork.
A nice enhancement here would be for long-touch on artwork to show options to
either Play/Play Next/Add to End for the album (single-touch to do default
action).  i.e. same interface as for touching a track, but for album context.

>there would no longer be "playback modes" but only SP's default action
>would be used.

I don't like that idea.  I don't like touch-to-play on songs.

I'd actually like a 4th mode, an "I" symbol for song info, so that default
action of touching a song could be set to bring up song info (same as
long-touch).  i.e. a non-destructive action, to get a list of song actions that
can be selected (Play/Play Next/Add to End would be presented).  This would
provide me with a quicker way to rate tracks that aren't actually playing
(something I often want to do on tracks in NP playlist, but it's cumbersome to
long-touch each track in turn, scroll down to rating, and select the star
rating).

>Oh, and "play shuffled" would fall away.
Not sure how to "play shuffled" at the moment.

>* Main player controls permanently accessible.
Don't like the idea of losing space for browsing.  I find it quick enough to
touch button to get to NP, and can click Left-Arrow to get back to last browse
page.
And when flick-scrolling a browse list, I may accidentally touch the player
controls.

>Sonos drops the quick access "Tab Bar" items for it so you always have
>to go through the main menu and actually I believe this is probably the
>only way to really find enough space so my suggestion would include
>this, too.

I like the customisable Tab Bar.  It looks correct for iPhone styling.

>SYNCHRONIZATION
>This is another one of the things I probably will do anyway, just want
>to understand how important it is to people. The idea is to have
>synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate.
Yes, that would be nice to have.

>ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY
>If you are happy with iPeng looks like now and would prefer additional
>features instead, here's your chance to tell me what that would be.
Can't think of much else at the moment, except I miss not seeing ghosted
scrollbar when scrolling long lists.  I get it on some lists, but not others.
eg. scrollbar shows progress when scrolling through Favorites, but not when
scrolling through Browse New Music.

Phil