Music Machine Wrote:

> It seems like people are pretty happy with performance if they have
> around 350 or less albums in the database.  750 albums or more is about
> the place where no one seems satisfied with performance.  Between those
> quantities satisfaction varies quite a bit.  I could easily have missed
> posts to the contrary.

I have over 800 albums, running on Windows, no problems (as I've stated
in many threads). The OS is not the problem - Perl runs just fine on
Windows, no more or less performant than any other platform. Now
whether Perl would be my language of choice for such a system, well
that's another matter - but I don't think it affects performance in any
significant way. You also need to decide what you're optimizing for -
memory usage, response time, or cpu usage. Pick one (or if you're
lucky, two). Personally I have no problem with CPU or memory usage in
SlimServer - most people's complaints seem to be response time.

I personally suspect that adding some threading would help, as it does
whenever you have blocking I/O and a mixture of event and non-event
driven processing. However, I wouldn't do any work on it without much
more evidence that that. We need to configure a system to breaking
point and find out what's going on inside. I don't know what the
current state of the art w.r.t Perl live debugging and analysis tools
is, I'm a Java/C# man, but that kind of info is essential in this type
of exercise. Blind optimization (i.e. looking for things which might be
slow and rewriting them in a way which might be faster - or might not
be) is a huge waste of time and resources and almost never fixes
anything useful.

--
radish