No, I cannot say that I have done any of this analysis.  My server is
wireline to the wireless router, so if I understand well, then you are
suggesting that I use a inSSider equipped laptop around our bedroom to
see what it can sniff out over the wireless interface?  Thing is, I use
a wireless laptop in my bedroom quite regularly w/o any problem.  Also,
bear in mind that power-cycling the SB3 always resolved the issue (for
a wee while).  So if interference (or contention) was at the heart of
the issue, then surely power-cycling would not help at all?  Generally,
the WiFi load is quite low when this happens.  Mostly it is only loaded
with the very music streams that then stop when the SP3 pukes - no big
load, really.  I also use no encryption on my WLAN so that max
bandwidth may actually come close to the advertised spec.  The physical
distance between router and SB3 is no more than 8m.  There is a wall,
but as I wrote, WLAN strength is 70% - no big deal really.  I might
have to substitute the SB2 for a while, to see whether things improve.
As I say, I also have some issues with the SB3 in the living room, which
is a mere 3m away from the router.

--
ovonrein