Mnyb;614595 Wrote:
> ? I was under the impression that majority of the eventual improvement
> is in the increased bith depth ? As this would increase the signal
> content that we stand a chance to hear.
>
> I know what a brick wall fillter is, but this is nowdays only a factor
> during recording then the frequency must be high to avoid that,.
> But for playback at home most modern DAC's have massive oversampling so
> for playback this is not really a problem anymore.

For any kind of oversampling to occur without gross errors, there needs
to be a very sharp low pass filter (usually done in the digital domain).
There is nothing quite like this high order, low pass filter in natural
acoustic spaces, which is why low sample rate PCM recordings always
sound like something's wrong with them, IMO. The counter argument is
that our ears have the bandwidth limitation, so that is doesn't matter
if the reproduction system has a compatible bandwidth limitation.  The
reason I think otherwise is that we humans have a very non-linear
perception of audio amplitude, and we can detect wrong timing of
transient events even though we may not have the corresponding ability
to detect continuous high frequency tones. For a purely linear system,
this would be nonsense, since bandwidth and timing resolution are
inextricably linked as reciprocal quantities in linear signal
processing. Nevertheless, it is my conjecture that a higher than 20kHz
bandwidth audio channel is necessary to avoid that our sensitive,
non-linear ears pick up disconcerting, not-found-in-nature timing cues
that cause us to identify the music source as electronic, unnatural and
perhaps even fatiguing for long-term listening.

I guess I am setting myself up for several flames for writing this
post. However, I am just sharing an opinion.

--
dsdreamer