Can now confirm the issue with one unit at least is caused by
squeezenetwork version V7.5.3.

Uninstalled V7.5.3 and installed V7.5.2 and the squeezebox classic
skipped "Ethernet Appears Disconnected Please Check Your Network
Connection" and worked as usual.

Then updated to V7.5.3 and the same problem occurred.

Uninstalled V7.5.3 and installed V7.5.2 and the squeezebox classic
works as expected via wired or wireless ethernet.

The only issue with this is when connecting to a V7.5.2 server it
installs Firmware 131 then when a connection to squeezenetwork is made
you need to wait while it installs firmware 132, then when you connect
back to squeezenetwork server, wait while firmware 131 is installed...

I would not like to be who ever signed off on V7.5.3 release!

Thanks heaps for the suggestions here. Now I know what it is will try
the 7.6 when I have a chance as suggested by Mnyb in #3

I expect the other 2 squeezebox classic problem will be V7.5.3 when I
get to them on the weekend.
thanks again..

--
smithw