pski;622947 Wrote:
> In my experience, the hardware players will stubbornly connect to the
> original instance even when there is an identically named AP 8 feet
> from the receiver. They obviously remember it based on MAC address and
> they are not smart about signal strength. The only way to force the
> player to talk to the "closer/stronger" signal was to power-off the
> other AP. After a restart of SBS, they wander right back to the
> original AP. Hence my suggestion of different names.
>
> I have no problems wandering around with my boom. Apparently it
> remembers more than a single AP.
>
> Roaming with a laptop should not present an issue with different names:
> just configure both connections to auto-start.
>
> On your first laptop connection to the new AP, be sure to change the
> network type to "private" so the players will be able discover the SBS
> machine.
>
> On the DHCP issue, I have my DSL modem running the only DHCP server on
> the network (all the AP DHCP's are disabled.) This provides a single
> DHCP client list and prevents "multiple network syndrome."

> Since all your players seem to get a signal from the current AP, you
> should be able to add the new AP (different channel) in the same
> location though you may want a longer cable run if you want the new AP
> to extend range. The other excellent suggestion is to turn-off all the
> A/B radios (set AP's to G-only.) that really helped in my install.

good info! I haven't fully tested my setup in this regard (same SSID,
same PW, different channels). The only things I have that are WIFI are
the RADIOs, the CONTROLLER and my iphones and laptops. All other SB
players and server are ethernet. With the Radio, to get it to connect
to the stronger AP, when I'm at the new location (outside deck), I do a
full power off (hold button) then the Radio reboots itself, and then
connects to the more powerful AP (I can tell as the strength goes from
very low to very high). But it is true that without doing this, the
RADIO stays connected to the lower strength AP.

I think either approach *can* work, but if I was using the second AP in
a different location for players that were always in the second
location, I'd for sure use a DIFFERENT SSID so that there is no mistake
about which AP they connect to. As pointed out, the key is that your
local network should have only ONE DHCP server!

--
garym